People are Talking About
- The sensorial equivalent of our being malnourished but obese (more about that below): “Our Polluted Senses” by Michael Marder, a favorite thinker.
- “The Grocery Industry Confronts a New Problem: Only 10% of Americans Love Cooking” (HBR)
- Wasted! A documentary about food waste from Anthony Bourdain. Recommended watch.
- “Food Versus Supplements: How Much You Actually Have to Eat to Get Everything You Need” from Emily Laurence at Well+Good, who I actually sat down with in part to talk supplements. I’ve also created a new Vitamins & Supplements Basics class since questions about them come up in all of my workshops and sessions, and they’re something I’ve been learning about and experimenting with since childhood (thanks mom!).
- Calories versus nutrient density: Not all calories are equal. Which is a huge part of the obese but malnourished state of unhealth created by the Standard American Diet. Call it “nutritional inflation” as Michael Pollan does in In Defense of Food. (This is a clear overview of the idea.)
- And so, the importance of organic food and, even better, local and wild food. This website is lots of fun: Eat Wild. See some pretty far-out veggie tips - like tearing your romaine a day in advance to quadruple its antioxidant content (hmm) - and find a local farm for your meat/eggs/dairy, if you’re not vegan, obv.
- Alberto Villoldo, Ph.D.: It’s not everyday you hear about ketosis and enlightenment in the same breath, but that’s my jam! I read Alberto's newest book last week, finished an awesome webinar series with him last night, will see him speak soon, and am testing some of his nutritional recommendations (like supplementing with glutathione and extending my intermittent fasting to ensure 18 hours away from sugar).
- Here he is on Bulletproof Radio.
Our News & Events
- Peru! When was the last time you regretted a travel adventure?
- My first podcast! About that ayahuasca and our upcoming retreat.
- Lots of events in November and December, and more to be announced (phew).
- If you need me at your office, studio, or next party, reply here to request.
- Check out my and others’ meal prep tips in Healthyish.
- “The Invention of Nature - Alexander Von Humboldt's New World”: I read (listened to) this book faster than any book ever maybe and absolutely LOVED it. Best read of the year yet though I may have said that before.