People are Talking About
- Alice Waters on Sex, Drugs and Sustainable Agriculture
- Emotional Intelligence Needs a Rewrite
- Cacao: All about it, and some v cool new products on the market (by me, for Bon Appetit's HEALTHYISH)
- Last month I mentioned The Plant Paradox, which I’ve since read. While there's some worthwhile information in it, and I actually recommend a mostly grain-free diet to many of my clients (as well as follow it myself) this book, like so many of the diet books, demonizes one micronutrient for all health woes and claims to have the cure. That is my review. Here are some thoughts from others:
- Carmelite Water, an herbal beverage recipe from the 1600s that I’m modifying to make alcohol-free.
- Ritual: These vitamins are wonderfully well-branded, always in my Instagram feed, and so not worth the money that when offered a free month of them, I declined. For example, I recently started taking B12 (commonly deficient in vegans though something I’m testing for clients, not taking because I believe I’m low). My daily dose is 3,000mcg. Ritual advertises that their vitamin contains the brain-, nerve- and energy-supportive vitamin. At, though ... only 8mcg/dose. (Here’s the brand I’m using.)
- More Michael Pollan because ...
“The sheer novelty and glamor of the Western diet, with its seventeen thousand new food products every year and the marketing power - thirty-two billion dollars a year - used to sell us those products, has overwhelmed the force of tradition and left us where we now find ourselves: relying on science and journalism and government and marketing to help us decide what to eat."
RX News & Events
- I’m currently taking new clients for Fall. If you’re interested in health sessions - remotely or in-person, do let me know! (session details)
- Best sunscreens without weird-shit ingredients (apologies that I didn’t have this earlier in the year!)
- Seasonal Food Guide: Find What's in Season Near You
- Flower Power Coffee House will serve caffeine and a non-THC relaxant in one cup
- FYI, Hempeh exists.